Monday, May 10, 2004

PROCRASTINATION
...the process:
(1) You want to achieve some outcome, usually something you and others value and respect--"I've got to start."
(2) You delay, briefly thinking of real and imagined advantages of starting to change later--"I'll do it tomorrow when I don't have much to do."
(3) You delay more, becoming self-critical--"I should have started sooner"--and/or self-excusing--"I really couldn't have left the party early last night, my best friends were there." You may hide or pretend to be busy; you may even lie about having other obligations.
(4) You delay still more, until finally the task has to be done, usually hastily--"Just get it done any old way"--or you just don't have time--"I can't do this!"
(5) You berate yourself--"There is something wrong with me"--and swear never to procrastinate again and/or you discount the importance of the task--"It doesn't matter."
(6) You repeat the process almost immediately on other important tasks, as if it were an addiction or compulsion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home